Calluses on your feet are simply hard thickened skin, mostly there for protection of areas of the foot that may be under pressure or friction. This can be from normal walking, running, most other sports, shoes, socks, and walking barefoot.

Most of this hard thick skin is purely protective and is of no

clinical significance. And it is usually not painful. Most of us get a bit of this protective callus and need not worry about it. This normal callus is called physiological callus.

There is another form of callus that gets too thick and starts to be painful. This is called pathological callus. This callus is caused by excess pressure on and area of the foot and that normal callus then progresses and gets extremely thick and painful. Abnormal foot biomechanics, foot deformities and some dermatological conditions cause this callus. This is an abnormal type of callus and needs treatment.


You can take care of a normal callus yourself. You can apply a foot cream to the area and that will keep the callus soft. Nutraplus is good.  Do this daily, especially if you walk barefoot, or wear sandals a lot. When you run apply Vaseline to these areas for lubrication.

If you have an abnormal callus then you need to reduce the pressure that is causing it. Check your running shoes out replace them if they are old and collapsed. File the hard skin down with a file or a pumice stone a few times a week. No knives or scalpels please.  Also use a foot cream daily. Nutraplus is good. Vaseline those feet for running.

If you cannot manage these lesions yourself seek professional help.

This information and / advice is the opinion of the author in his capacity as a qualified and registered podiatrist.

The information and advice is meant as a guide only and is intended to be easily understandable to the lay person.

Anyone seeking health and/or medical advice is strongly advised to consult a qualified professional of their choice.  If you have any specific questions about any podiatric or medical matter or are in need of treatment you should consult your podiatrist, doctor, or other professional health care provider.